Following Dramatic Increase in Web Traffic, NYC Health + Hospitals Launches New Website to Improve Patient Access to Physicians and Care
Nearly 7 million people used the site in 2021, a testament to the health system’s vital role during the COVID-19 pandemic
August 15, 2022
NYC Health + Hospitals today announced the redesign of its website, nychealthandhospitals.org, a streamlined digital gateway that gives visitors a faster, more user-friendly experience to access the information and services they need to to stay healthy. Over the past two years, the NYC Health + Hospitals website has seen a dramatic increase in traffic, in part due to the critical role of the healthcare system during the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2021, over 6.9 million people accessed the website, an increase of 330% since 2019. The homepage now includes an integrated COVID-19 search bar as a main design feature, a dynamic video showing the diversity of staff and patients served, and a new “I Want” section where New Yorkers can quickly access in-demand services like vaccinations and virtual care.
“When the COVID-19 pandemic came to our city, people turned to the NYC Health + Hospitals website for information about symptoms, our test and trace efforts, and the vaccine,” said President and CEO of NYC Health + Hospitals Mitchell Katz, MD. “We were and continue to be proud to serve New Yorkers every day. The new website is one of the many ways we are investing in the public health system to provide our patients with the best possible experience when seeking care.
The redesign includes the following changes:
- A new patient-friendly homepage: The home page kicks off with a New York City video showcasing the various patient and healthcare spaces at our facilities. A COVID-19 search bar integrates the system’s COVID-19 resources prominently into the design. An “I want to…” section allows users to easily navigate to the most popular resources. The homepage also includes a philanthropy section where New Yorkers can donate to the healthcare system to support its mission.
- Find a doctor: The improved search function now allows patients to search a database of more than 5,000 providers based on their institution, specialty and languages spoken. Each provider now has their own web page with their credentials and training.
- Talk to a doctor now: This button links directly to NYC Health + Hospitals’ Virtual ExpressCare, where patients can connect to a provider in minutes by phone or video for urgent care. The service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and interpretation is available in over 200 languages.
- Quick links to MyChart: With one click, patients can access the MyChart login page to book an appointment, message their doctor’s office, request prescription refills, and view test results.
- Facility websites: Each of the system’s 11 hospitals, 30 Gotham Health Centers and 5 long-term care centers now has a redesigned website, with the address and phone number easy to find at the top of the page. Each facility’s home page features an “At a Glance” banner with badges to reflect major accomplishments, such as recognition by U.S. News and World Reports as one of the nation’s top hospitals or designation as level 1 trauma center.
- Patient stories and video testimonials: Patient stories are highlighted on the redesigned homepage, including Ray Lopez, who received gender-affirming hormone therapy to treat gender dysphoria, and Freddy Virola, a Brooklyn dad and COVID patient -19 who received extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, or ECMO therapy, which saved his life.
- New photos: The revamped website features a series of new photos of facilities, patients and staff.
Contact: [email protected]; 212.788.3339
About NYC Health + Hospitals
NYC Health + Hospitals is the nation’s largest municipal health care system. We are a network of 11 hospitals, trauma centers, neighborhood health centers, nursing homes and post-acute care centers. We are a home care agency and health plan, MetroPlus. Our health system provides essential services to more than one million New Yorkers each year at more than 70 sites across the city’s five boroughs. Our diverse workforce of more than 43,000 employees is uniquely focused on empowering New Yorkers, without exception, to live the healthiest lives possible. Visit us at www.nychealthandhospitals.org and stay connected on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/NYCHealthSystem or Twitter at @NYCHealthSystem.